Sunday, May 11, 2008

Introducing Summer Art Workshop...

Interested in exploring a new perspective of composition and concept? Dig this... I will be teaching a weekend workshop this summer that will allow young adults the opportunity to experience Colorful Colorado as both a backpacker and an artist! This hands-on retreat is open to ages 16-19, and will be held in late July 2008.

The excursion will lead participants through a moderate two-day hike in the Rocky Mountains, allowing ample breaks for artistic exploration. Learning the basics of backpacking and fundamentals of plein aire drawing and painting, students will experience unique creative possibilities. This overnight packtrip is ideal for the young artist with a passion for exploration of the great outdoors!

Using the brilliant Colorado landscape for inspiration, each participant will keep a sketchbook to record their experience. Ideas and compositions logged will be the basis for an independent project on the second day of the hike. Medias used include watercolor, pen and ink, and graphite.

Participants will be responsible for carrying their supplies in and out, as they gain confidence and knowledge of outdoor survival and backpacking basics. Participants will share responsibility of carrying tent, food, art supplies, and survival equipment. However, due to the short duration of the trip, the packs will remain relatively light and manageable for most any traveler.

As I am still working out the details, I would appreciate your reactions and responses. There are many considerations I have (including extending the workshop into a three-day trip) if there is enough interest. The program fee will be between $175-325 per person, depending on total participants registered and duration of trip. Program fee includes all instruction, meals and art supplies. Additionally, there will be a packlist provided prior to the trip including other essential and recommended equipment.

Mail-in registration forms will be available as soon as attendance estimates are obtained. Dates and exact location will be released prior to the registration process; however, please express interest to ensure workshop confirmation as soon as possible.

5 comments:

Jendrick said...

I can’t wait! Combining the great outdoors with drawing sounds like the perfect way to spend any summer day. Sign me up! This is going to be a blast!

noxford said...

I would definitely be interested in going for more than two days. Just an idea.

Anonymous said...

Should be fun; I'll let you all sketch me fishing =P

Brandon said...

This seriously sounds...

AWESOME

I absolutely can't wait for this thing to really get going. I'm definitely interested. Keep me updated.

Jendrick said...

I'm going...the end. Even if it's just me and my sketchbook...I'LL BE THERE!
Should we bring our own stuff if we want to make pizza or s'mores?